Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Flight

We enjoyed an uneventful journey to Anchorage. The flights were full of senior citizens heading for cruises or fishing trips! On the long leg of the flight Ryan and I didn't get to sit next to each other for some reason. But we made it in one piece. I've posted some of the pictures I took from the airplane windows. We arrived around 6p.m. Alaska Time which is one hour behind Pacific time. There was a bit of a mix up with our ride so we spent a little time looking for each other. We finally left for camp around 8p.m. in the rain and cold. I think the temperature was in the low 50's. We finally made it to the camp around 11p.m. One of the pictures I've posted was along the road at a scenic turnoff. It was at about 10:30p.m. It is still bright like early afternoon...that's been a little strange. Today we had breakfast in the Miracle Lodge, attended church at Glacierview Bible Church (it really does have a glacier view from the pew. A little distracting for me :)) We had lunch at a little seasonal cafe and then had a great tour of the camp with the director, Rick Cornfield. Tonight after dinner we will sit in on "Connections" which is the summer staff debrief time. Here are some pictures for now...enjoy!


Views from the airplane window

Mountains over British Columbia, Canada

More mountains over B.C.

Airport in Anchorage

Scenic lookout off of the Glenn Highway overlooking the Matanuska River




Matanuska Glacier as seen from Glacierview Bible Church

Fireweed...I guess the locals cook it up into a beautifully colored jelly

One of the "unnamed or at least unknown name" peaks

Victory Peak

I had to include this one...the strangest combination I've ever seen
Fridge/freezer, stove, sink

3 comments:

Penner said...

Great camp and great place. Say hi to all my friends at Victory and look forward to seeing them next week.

Unknown said...

looks awesome. Looking forward to some more pictures.

Tamara said...

It's a Stov-free-sink-erator!!!