Friday, January 23, 2009

Answered Prayer

Thanks to all of you that took action. The Lord has answered their prayers and their little girl will continue to receive medical care!


Oh My, What a Day!! I’ve been trying for hours to get to the computer and pass along this wonderful news – its official, Emerson has been reinstated by Colorado Medicaid! She will continue to receive benefits, without interruption, for all in-patient and out-patient expenses incurred while here in Nebraska.

The day started out with word that ABC national news had picked up the story. I did a phone interview with a reporter from abc.com this morning. Look for that story online tomorrow morning! That interview was followed, several hours later, by a call from Colorado Medicaid with the good news.

Within minutes of receiving the official word from Medicaid, I was flooded by calls from reporters. TV crews were here within the hour. I gave phone interviews, followed by several on-air interviews just outside the PICU. Emerson’s story has aired on every station, multiple times, since it broke on Monday. Tonight news of a successful resolution was the top story!

I have no words to describe my feelings for the people of Omaha, Nebraska. They have supported us like one of their own and have opened their hearts to Emerson and our whole family. I’m amazed by the outpouring of love we feel here. Thank you Omaha – you will forever hold a special place in our heart. I also want to thank all our friends back home in Colorado Springs and everyone who sent letters & made phone calls on our behalf, each one made a difference. Finally I want to thank the media. You gave our collective voices a public stage & were ultimately instrumental in overturning this senseless decision.

It continues to be my hope that we can help other families too. I’ve written a letter to Governor Ritter asking him to remember Emerson’s story next time they review the Colorado Medicaid program. I urged him to amend the law so other families are spared the same devastating call we received 2 weeks ago. No parent should hear that Medicaid has decided they’ve paid ‘enough’, or that coverage will be dropped over a technicality such as residency. Certainly life is more valuable that. It is my great hope something positive will come from the struggles we’ve endured these past two years. It is my greater hope that Emerson’s battle has not been fought in vain.

Finally, a nursing student here is organizing a large local fund-raiser for Emerson. We’re expecting lots of media coverage – television and radio – both before and during the event. So many people are looking for ways to help. Thanks to Katie & everyone who’s working so hard to bring it all together. Stay tuned for much more information on that!

No comments: