Friday, June 24, 2011

Rhubarb Jam!

My (Rachel's) parents are here in Alaska visiting us for three weeks and we are having a great time! Last night my mom and I went out and picked a WHOLE bunch of rhubarb. Plants are plentiful here and are often used as decorative plants in the yard because the Moose don't like them and will leave them alone! So today we cut it up and made up a whole bunch of rhubarb and rhubarb strawberry jam along with my friend Jennifer who brought rhubarb and joined in the fun. I made all of my jam into freezer jam and Jennifer canned hers to keep in her storage. It turned out sooo yummy! Here are some pictures of our canning day.




I had 40 cups of rhubarb in the stock pot after I cut it all up!


Strawberry puree in the bowl next to the rhubarb



Add in a whole bunch of jello and sugar

My mom was the voice of reason and experience in the room :)


This is how I am storing my jam, in plastic freezer containers so that
I can serve it right out of the container.

2 comments:

Daphne Mays said...

Beautiful AND yummy!!!

Shilo said...

Strawberry rhubarb is my absolute favorite! So glad you have this time with your mom and dad!